Monday, January 2, 2017

Did you catch a glimpse?



In all of those years, in almost half of our lives
did you ever catch a glimpse?
I think we did once.
It was across the kitchen table
with bills to the left and baby bottles to the right
We must have been tired, it happened late one night.

It was like we saw into each other's soul
without words, but with undeniable truth
it almost happened
but we turned away instead
I think there were tears, I don't remember
But it was after Christmas, maybe late December.

In all of the battles we fought against each other
instead of living in peace
Did you ever catch a glimpse?
Did you know who you were hurting and who would
hurt in the end?
Did you know we could have been friends?

What about the little boy who lives inside you
did you know you hurt him most of all?
the one who you neglected, who was abused
the one you hated most of all for being afraid
did you pick him up and say everything's okay?

I would have helped you know, I tried to, God knows
but it was me who was punished
for all the things you didn't say, for all that you
couldn't control,
You know, I would have stayed,
if you only caught a glimpse.

No comments:

Post a Comment